We have a number of publications. Click one of our links below to learn more.
Hot Off The Press is monthly compilation of member and industry news. It is distributed by email to all member contacts and to subscribers.
TLMI members may send news to firstname.lastname@example.org for publication. Releases and announcements are published first online in the Media Room > Latest Member News and then included in Hot Off The Press.
The TLMI Illuminator publishes association news and information about TLMI’s events, awards and certifications. TLMI member companies are featured in the publication and technical white papers submitted by supplier members are periodically published. The Illuminator is an industry publication uniquely positioned, delivering news and editorial to best in class narrow web printers and suppliers throughout the North American marketplace.
Members may download The Illuminator in the Members Section.
The TLMI Index & Trend Report, published biannually in the 2nd and 4th quarters, features industry forecasts and projections for each of the major narrow web sectors including food, beverage, personal care, pharmaceuticals, retail, durable goods and automotive. The report tracks TLMI converting companies’ sales performance against major economic indices, giving members an invaluable tool against which to chart their own performance. The TLMI Index & Trend report also features brand owner (packaging buyer) surveys, converter capital equipment purchasing projections and benchmarking data to help TLMI members fine tune their production and business planning strategies.
View a past issue to get a feel for the valuable information this publications provides.
Members may download current and past The TLMI Index & Trend Report issues in the Members Section.
The 2013 North American Label Study
The TLMI North American Label Study has long been known as the most esteemed market research endeavor in the North American narrow web marketplace. The study is published every four to five years and closely examines those drivers shaping the North American, Central and South American tag and label printing industries. The NALS 2013 provides benchmark-level metrics, packaging buyer analysis and trending information to assist our members in making business decisions critical to their growth and profitability.
TLMI NALS 2013 Content Synopsis
Categorization and segmentation of the narrow web industry:
Examining growth, contraction and drivers for change in the pressure sensitive, non-pressure sensitive (cut and stack), in-mold and unsupported film (shrink and non-shrink) sectors. Section will indicate total market size of each segment with projected growth forecasting to 2017. Section will also include competitive analysis between decoration segments and where the challenges and application opportunities lie within each.
Specialty product analysis:
Examining growth, trending and narrow web presence in the RFID, smart label, multi-web label (extended content/text labeling) and printed electronics sectors.
Discussion and analysis of the entire narrow web supply chain:
Including market forces and innovations occurring at the packaging buyer level that currently function as narrow web industry growth drivers across end-use category sectors (food, beverage, pharma, personal care, etc.).
End-use market segmentation and analysis:
Examining current requirements and position of each major end-use category in addition to projected future needs and category shifts that will have a direct impact on the narrow web label converter.
Production technology analysis:
Examining the current state of the narrow web production floor and a discussion of those technologies that will have the greatest impact on the production floor of tomorrow. Some of the fundamental topics covered in this section will include:
- Press technology (conventional): An examination of the current press technologies available and the real value they bring to narrow web converters. Section will include a discussion of what the most important conventional press technologies will be in the longer term as packaging buyers continue to push highest graphics quality and fastest turnaround standards throughout the supply chain.
- Press technology (digital): An examination of exactly where digital press installations are having the most success and an analysis of how much packaging buyers are truly driving digital press system adoption and where they think the technology’s place is in the pressroom today, and tomorrow.
- Prepress technology: An examination of the prepress workflow focusing on ways converters are streamlining workflow requirements currently, what prepress workflow will look like in the longer term, and those prepress investments converters will have to make to stay competitive and meet heightening packaging buyer demands.
- Materials/substrates: Light-weighting, down-gauging, increased flexibility with film substrates and adhesives – the narrow web material sector is constantly changing as raw material price fluctuations continue. This section will discuss those market drivers that are shaping the narrow web materials sector and will offer converters insight as to how manufacturers will be offering solutions in the longer term. Section will also segment the North American narrow web industry by substrate type (PS paper, PS film, non-PS paper, non-PS film, in-mold and shrink) with projected growth forecasting to 2017 for each type.
- Inks & Adhesives: An analysis of water-based ink utilization across the North American narrow web sector with an examination of how ink companies are working with their narrow web customers in creating innovative solutions to meet changing ink performance requirements.
Latin American Narrow Web Industry:
Section will include an in-depth examination and discussion of the Mexican narrow web marketplace and the impact this market has on US and Canadian converters and suppliers. This section will also include an analysis of the primary South American markets including Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Argentina and Chile. A particularly important section for TLMI suppliers, supply chain channels will be examined including a discussion of direct-sale versus agency representation in the region and which methodology offers suppliers the most optimum results and exposure.
Converter Growth Rates and Operating Profit Margin Benchmarking Analysis:
Section will include analysis of TLMI member and non-member current sales growth rates and operating profit margins with projections to 2015.
TLMI Manual of Recommended Standard Test Methods for Pressure Sensitive Labels – 2010 Edition
This edition features the latest methods for testing base materials, VIP materials, inks and printed labels. It also includes finishing guidelines for pressure sensitive applications.
This publication is the result of a collaborative and industrious effort put forth by the TLMI Technical Committee and we hope this manual serves as a resource to assist your company’s best manufacturing practices. We are pleased to be able to provide you with this important industry information.
The TLMI Glossary of Terms for Pressure Sensitive Labels
The glossary contains over 900 definitions from A to Z of the most frequently used terms in the pressure sensitive label industry. The glossary was developed in the early 90′s by members of TLMI. This is a great tool for employees to enhance their understanding of the industry.
The TLMI Product & Services Guide provides comprehensive details on the offerings and capabilities of TLMI members. You can access guide listings for each member through a Find a Member search. Or, narrow your search to return a list of providers for the specific product and service you need.
The TLMI Product & Services Guide is also published each July in packagePRINTING magazine. The guide consists of over 80 pages of valuable industry information.
Government Affairs Issue Overview
The TLMI Government & Regulatory Affairs Committee has partnered with PACE Government Relations, a bi-partisan government relations consulting firm based in Washington D.C., to bring members quarterly updates on matters of importance to our industry. The publication keeps members abreast of government and legislative activities that could have an impact on their companies.
Members may download the Government Affairs Issue Overview in the Members Section.